I have been challenged by some of my colleagues to come up with weekly seafood features to showcase some of our fantastic fresh fish offerings we have. So the ingredient I had to work with is Pasta Clams. Such a versatile mollusk that lends its self to many applications. I have chosen a simple yet classic pairing of ingredients for this dish.
This Recipe should yield 4 portions
Stage 1 (Garnish and Sauce, can be done a day in advance)
For the Clams
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Shallots 1 medium size, roughly chopped
Garlic 1 clove, roughly chopped
White Wine 1/4 cup (Gewürztraminer, but your favorite white wine will work)
Thyme a couple sprigs
Clams 20 pieces, washed
- Heat the olive oil in a large enough pot to hold all the clams.
- Add the roughly chopped shallots and garlic, sauté until soft 2-3 minutes.
- Add the white wine, thyme and the washed clams.
- Cover and steam until they just open, this should take no more then a couple minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool, remove the clams from the shells and set aside for platting.
- Strain and reserve the liquid for the sauce.
For the Garnish
Double Smoke Bacon 2 slices 1/2” thick (ask your butcher to cut it for you)
Chanterelle Mushrooms 1 cup, cleaned and cut in half
Sun Dried Tomatoes 4 tbsp, finely sliced
Parsley 2 tbsp, finely sliced
- Slice the 1/2” slabs of double smoked bacon into lardons.
- Place them in a pot and cover them with cold water, bring to a boil and drain off.
- Place the lardons back into the pot and onto a low heat.
- Render them until they are crispy, set aside for platting
For the Sauce
Olive oil 1 tbsp
Shallots 1 medium size (finely chopped)
Garlic 2 cloves (crushed)
White Wine 1/2 cup (Gewürztraminer, but your favorite white wine will work)
Cooking liquid from the cooking the clams
35% cream 500ml
Grainy Mustard 2 tbsp
- Sauté the shallots and garlic over low heat with the olive oil until translucent. Do not colour.
- Add the wine and bring to a simmer, reduce by half.
- Add the cooking liquid from the clams, and reduce by half.
- Add the cream and reduce to your desired sauce consistency.
- Add the mustard and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
Stage 2 (Assemble and Plate)
For the Pasta
Linguini 4 portions cooked
For the Clam Garnish
Clams 12 pieces, washed
- Place enough water in the bottom of a pot large enough to hold the 12 clams, bring to a boil.
- Add the clams and cook until the clams just open.
- Sauté the Chanterelle mushrooms over high heat with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the Bacon lardons and heat through.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes to the pan and toss to heat through.
- Add the cooked and shelled clams.
- Heat the pasta in boiling water, drain and add to the garnishes tossing to combine.
- Add enough sauce to coat all the ingredients.
- Using a 2 prong carving fork, twirl and plate the linguini in 4 equal portions dividing any left over garnish in the pan amongst the dishes.
- Drizzle remaining sauce over the dishes.
- Garnish the plates with cooked clams in the shell and finely sliced parsley.
I hope this dish is enjoyed as much as I did.